SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates.
Position Title: Senior Programme Administrative Assistant
Vacancy Number: SVN/IOMSO/008/2021
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Classification: General service, Grade G6
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term, Nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 15 April, 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Labour Migration and Human Development (LHD) unit in IOM Somalia focuses its interventions on fostering synergies between labour migration and development, and adoption of measures to maximize migration outcomes.
One of the largest programmes in IOM is the Migration for Development in Africa (MIDA), a capacity building programme, which aims to strengthen the capacity of government institutions through engagement of Somali diaspora. To date, the programme has placed more than 600 Somali experts’ assignments at various ministries and institutions. IOM has focused on a broad range of sectors including: Justice, Public Financial Management, Public Works, Health, Education, Local Government, which are crucial for the economic and social development and the stability of Somalia.
The LHD division is also committed to optimizing the benefits of labour migration for both the countries of origin and destination, as well as for the migrants themselves. In this regard, IOM Somalia is working closely with key government institutions to strengthen institutional capacity and support in the formulation of labour migration policies, legislation and effective labour migration strategies.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Page 2 / 4
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission, the direct supervision of the LHD Programme Manager, in close collaboration and consultation with LHD staff, Resource Management Unit and other IOM units the Senior Programme Administrative Assistant will be responsible for providing administrative and finance-related support to LHD projects.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Act as the focal point of MIDA administrative responsibilities as follows:
a) Support recruitment of diaspora experts: posting job vacancies, compiling long/short-list, arranging interviews in cooperation with LHD team, government counterparts and other relevant IOM units.
b) Prepare the different types of contracts for each MIDA participant using the contract templates approved by IOM legal department: (Institutional, Participant and Supplementary) contracts.
c) Maintain an effective communication system between LHD unit, heads of government institutions and relevant IOM units e.g., MPA, IBM, WASH to ensure timely communication on renewal/non-renewal of participants’ contracts.
d) Update the database of all MIDA experts to ensure that information is up to date for decision making and to produce infographics on a regular basis.
e) On a monthly basis prepare payroll for MIDA experts in close coordination with the LHD team and Resource Management unit, ensuring timely payments and fulfilment of the respective contractual obligations of each MIDA participant.
- Process requests for payments ensuring all supporting documentation and signatures according to established approval standards are obtained before payment is made.
- Regularly monitor and review budget lines to ensure that all active projects are utilizing the correct budget lines and maintain a finance tracker of LHD projects to monitor burn rates, ensuring accuracy of staff, office, and operations expenditures, and provide the LHD Programme Manager and Project Officers with monthly project budget reports.
- Monitor the use of existing resources such as assets/inventory items etc., estimate new requirements aiming at efficiency, cost-effectiveness and timeliness of operations and services.
- Provide administrative and logistical planning support to staff and partners regarding duty travel, travel authorizations, security clearance, accommodation, and expense claims.
- Travel to field sites to carry out internal auditing exercises and to support the administrative, financial, and procurement dimensions of the project implementation process.
- Design and update templates for financial tracking tools related to operational expenses, staff expenses (salary and DSA), consultant expenses (including travel), and office costs associated with all active projects and programs.
- Contribute to the budgetary design for project proposals and fund-raising initiatives to support Labour Migration and Human Development programs for the IOM Somalia Mission.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Page 3 / 4
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s or equivalent or higher degree in Political, Social Science or Business Administration, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant professional experience; or
• High School Degree/Certificate with six years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional experience in financial administration, control procedures, and procurement process.
• Experience in project management and implementation and monitoring programme activities.
• Experience in liaising with government and local authorities, in particular regional states.
• Experience working with accounting and procurement system, an advantage.
• Experience in IOM administrative and financial management, budget monitoring, cash management and internal control procedures, an advantage.
• Experience working in an international organization and knowledge of the UN is essential.
• Good, communication, reporting and negotiation skills.
• Excellent monitoring skill; Managerial Skill; Organizational Skill; Accuracy.
• Ability to work with limited supervision.
• Ability to multi-task and delivers on set objectives and timelines in hardship situations.
• Experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and data analysis.
Fluency in English both written and oral is required.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Special Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
From 09.04.2021 to 15.04.2021