Kakenya’s Dream seeks to empower and motivate young girls through education to become agents of change and to break the cycle of destructive cultural practices in Kenya, such as female genital mutilation and early forced marriage. These future leaders will improve their community, their nation, and the world. We challenge ourselves to come up with the best educational system for young African girls and we promise to share our models with others.
Kakenya’s Dream is seeking a Counsellor to promote student success and respond to identified student needs by implementing a comprehensive school counseling program that addresses academic, career, and personal/social development and mental and social wellness for all students in Kakenya’s Dream programs including but not limited to the Centers for Excellence, Network for Excellence, and Health & Leadership as the primary target group, but also for other members of the school community. This position will be fully based in our field office located in Isampin, Transmara West, Narok County and reports to the Director of Programs. The successful candidate will be required to commit some time over the weekends and in the evenings.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Facilitate and coordinate provision of professional counselling services for learners, adolescents and staff with protection concerns by conducting individual and group sessions.
- Work with program staff, caregivers, parents, teachers and support staff to address children concerns.
- Ensure that the Centres For Excellences are within the recommended safety standards for children to play, learn and grow.
- Conducting relevant training on psycho social wellbeing to program staff, support staff and community structures to ensure the right of the child are upheld.
- Ensure that staff are aware of their obligatory duty to report and record any incident or suspected child protection concern.
- Ensure compliance to the child protection policy and implementation of the same
- Plan, organize and implement quality community sensitization forums in partnership with the program staff leading the Health and Leadership program and the Network for excellence.
- Maintain an up to date confidential database on counseling clients
- Ensure timely production of activity/events reports as well as monthly reports as per the agreed timelines and documentation of lessons learnt
- Proactively promote the need to prevent and protect children that Kakenya Dream staff comes into contact with from harm, injury, illness or abuse.
- Ensure that all Child protection concerns and complaints are reported to the Director of Programs within 24 hours of their occurrence and in line with the Child protection Policy Standards on Reporting Concerns
- Facilitate regular opportunities to discuss concerns about practices within teams or with other colleagues to help develop a safe working environment and an open and supportive culture.
- Provide leadership and collaborate with other educators in the school-wide integration of best practice in counselling.
- Provide individual and group counseling to pupils with identified concerns and needs.
- Implement an effective referral and follow-up process as needed.
- Collaborate with parents/guardians and educators to assist pupils with educational, career, and life planning.
- Conduct a yearly audit to review the counselling needs and trends in the school, and the extent to which the Counselling programme in the school is effective in its implementation, based on the data collected and analyzed.
- Prepare the results of such analysis in a manner that makes it possible to share the information with different stakeholders: students, teachers, parents and guardians.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Good communication skills with fluency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili
- Graduate diploma/degree in Counseling or Psychology, with at least 2 years’ experience working with children is desirable
- Knowledge of child protection approaches
- Ability to use a wide range of child counseling methodologies
- Positive attitude towards community work with emphasis on the ability to learn from communities and support innovative approaches to problem solving
- Registered with the Kenya Counsellors and Psychologist’s Association (KCPA)
- Commitment to Kakenya’s Dream Child protection policy
- Ability to adapt to different cultures
- Experience in designing and facilitating training sessions and activities for children
- Ready to work in remote settings
How to apply
If you meet the above qualifications please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on Friday 30th April, 2021
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.