Habitat for Humanity Kenya (HFH Kenya) is a non-governmental organization registered under the NGO Coordination Act, 1990. Habitat for Humanity is a Christian ministry that works to bring people together to build homes, communities and hope. Since its establishment in 1982, Habitat for Humanity Kenya has worked with low-income families in more than 250 communities in Kenya to enable them to access decent and affordable houses.
Habitat for Humanity Kenya seeks to recruit a suitable candidate to fill the position of Human Resources and Administration Officer.
About the Role
Reporting to the National Director, and based in Nairobi, the Human Resource and Administration Officer (HRAO) will ensure smooth human resource management and administrative functions in line with the overall organizational Human Resource policies and procedures.
Human Resource Management
- In consultation with departmental heads, assist in the development of detailed Job descriptions and the recruitment of new or replacement positions in the organization.
- Oversee the entire recruitment process once approval for recruitment has been issued. This will include placement of the adverts, receiving of applications, first level short listing and forwarding the same to the relevant departmental head(s) for the final short listing, contacting candidates and organizing interviews and seeking for references of successful candidates.
- Manage and provide direction to staff with respect to general personnel policies and procedures.
- Develop implements and maintain policies, procedures and programs in order to assure cohesiveness and effectiveness.
- Under the direction of the National Director and in collaboration with the HFHI Africa Hub human resource department, manage the design, implementation and administration of compensation programs including job evaluations and salary reviews and administration.
- Prepare orientation materials for new staff coming into the organization and organize for their detailed orientation into the organization.
- Maintain the files of all staff, ensuring that they have all the relevant documentation.
- Working with departmental heads, ensure that regular performance reviews are done and filing the same in the relevant staff files.
- Working with departmental heads, identify training opportunities for staff and facilitate the training of the same through sourcing for qualified trainers and institutions.
- Working with departmental heads, identify areas for further training for staff, track the training received and its application in enabling the organization achieve its mandate.
- Maintain leave schedules for staff, ensuring that staff take leave when due.
- Manage employee benefits (WIBA, Medical Insurance and Pension scheme).
- Employee safety and health issues.
- Manage job separation such as terminations, dismissal and resignations.
- Maintaining employee discipline and handling disciplinary cases.
- Ensure that HFH Kenya’s National and Regional Offices staff have all facilities they need to effectively carry out their duties.
- Specifically, receive and work with the procurement committee and the finance department to ensure timely purchase of supplies and services needed for the proper running of the organization.
- Keeping accurate records of minutes and other reports of the management and working committees.
- Manage the administrative requirements for the repair and maintenance of the office’s computer equipment and IT systems.
- Assist in facilitating necessary permits/licenses from government(s) for building maintenance; utilities; official vehicles and other equipment.
- Support in coordinating logistics and itineraries of all official functions of the organization staff and the board.
- Preparing and management of suppliers/vendors contract
Key Performance Measures
- Timely Recruitment process
- Updated leave plan
- Updated personnel files
- Develop annual training plan
- Effective monthly stock take
- Timely procurement processes
- Timely payments of utilities
- Well maintained premises
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- Professional skills in running HR & Admin functions
- Computer skills
- Ability to manage large volumes of work, work long hours and weekends.
- Should possess excellent organizational skills.
- Decision making & problem solving
Interpersonal and Behavioural competencies
- Have excellent public relations skills.
- Able to relate well to others and use interpersonal skills to achieve desired objectives.
- Able to influence the behaviour and decisions of people on matters concerning recruitment and other personnel or individual issues.
- Able to cope with change, to be flexible and to handle uncertainty.
- Able to make sense of issues, identify and solve problems and ‘think on one’s feet’.
- Focus on achieving results.
- Able to maintain appropriately directed energy and stamina, to exercise self-control and to learn new behaviours.
- Able to communicate well, orally and on paper.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Healthy, physique.
- Able to give counseling to the employees.
How to apply
- Minimum education Degree in Business Administration or Human Resource Management, Social Sciences.
- Registration with IHRM preferred.
- At least five (5) years’ experience administration and HR management in a busy office ,preferably an international NGO.
- Flexibility – frequent travel to the regions.
- Have interests in learning new environments, duties and tasks.
To apply, download the full job description available at www.hfhkenya.org and email the application to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and position applied for in the subject line.
The closing date for receiving applications is no later than close of business on Wednesday 12thMay 2021.