Objectives and general characteristics
The PA is in charge of the accounting management of the Somalia projects assigned to him/her.
(S)he supports the Head of Finance and Administration (HFA) and Project Managers (PMs) to ensure a proper and timely financial management of the assigned projects and management of the project assets and human resources.
(S)he ensures a constant monitoring of CEFA’s financial expenditure against the project’s main budget, specific financial plans developed, and their adherence to CEFA and donor’s financial procedures.
(S)he ensures that all the supporting document are in order as per donors and internal regulation and each and every expense is correctly accounted for and Prima Nota is accounted respecting CEFA internal deadline, liaising with the Staff on the field for proper and timely submission.
(S)he ensures that payments due to Suppliers, salaries, taxes, deductions are done timely and in line with CEFA internal policies, Donor regulation, and local norms and legislations.
The PA reports to the Head of Finance and Administration (HFA) and at functional level to the PMs
Areas of Responsibility
Book-keeping, Finance and Budgeting
· (S)he prepares the Prima Nota for the assigned projects and supervise/coordinate the field staff in order to receive the documentation;
· Submit the monthly Prima nota to the PM’s as per agreed timelines;
· (S)he prepares and process all project related financial transactions into CEFA’s Accounting System (such as vouchers, requisitions) and ensure the proper allocation of costs according to the information received by the project coordinators;
· (S)he performs monthly and routinely financial reconciliation (including discrepancies through the collection and analysis of financial and accounting data);
· (S)he prepares the financial reports for the project(s) assigned to her supporting the Project Managers;
· (S)e support the Project Managers to manage and account for day-to-day cash inflows and outflows ensuring proper systems and procedures;
· (S)he prepares the payrolls and statutory deductions, in line with CEFA’s internal policies and local norms and legislations, to be submitted to the Head of Finance and Administration and the Project Manager;
· (S)he deals with the management and disbursement of petty cash, in line with CEFA internal policies and procedures and in coordination with the Head of Finance and Administration and with the Project Managers;
· (S)he is responsible for handling the monthly fund requests and for preparing and disbursing funds transfer to the field;
· (S)he processes approved payments in line with the project budget and project/Donor regulations, and CEFA regulation having verified the necessary documentations;
· S(he) provides administrative and financial support for the effective and efficient organization of project activities, such as field visits, missions, workshops, trainings, round tables, conferences;
· (S)he ensures that all the supporting document are in order as per donors and internal regulation and each and every expense is correctly accounted for.
Human resources management, legal compliance
· S(he) maintains project staff files as per CEFA Policies;
· S(he) prepares monthly payroll and pays salaries and consultancy fees on timely basis;
· S(he) ensures the preparation and remittance of statutory deductions for Office staff and submission of annual statutory returns-NHIF, NSSF, WIBA PAYE & W.H.T.
Purchasing and Logistics
· (S)he supports verifies that Payments due to Suppliers are in line with the approved procurement plan for each project and that the appropriate procedure has been followed;
· (S)he supports procurement procedures for the project according to CEFA’s and the donor’s internal policies and regulations, in liaison with the Procurement/Logistic officer and the Project Manager;
· (S)he ensures that the Inventory register for the project is up to date and all assets are properly tagged.
· (S)he ensures a constant monitoring of CEFA’s expenditure against the project’s main budget, specific financial plans developed and in line with the CEFA and donor’s financial procedures:
o Follow up with project staff by the 5th of each month on docs that must arrive to the Nairobi office;
o Weekly follow up with project staff on accountancy.
· (S)he will ensure that proper handover (token, cash, cheque book) is done to Project Manager when on leave and ensure that there are no pending payments.
The PA is available to perform any additional duties required by the HFA and PMs in line with the profile.
University level degree in public administration, business, economics, financial management, or other relevant field *
· A minimum of five years of financial management, grants management, Accountancy or similar experience managing grant portfolios of >4 million Euro
· At least three years of demonstrated successful experience in international relief and development organization in African countries in a similar position is required.
· Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication, negotiation skills, multi-tasking and organizational skills.
· Proven capacity to work in a team and managing staff is essential.
· Proven ability to manage and monitor a diverse staff and partners in multiple locations
· Experience in liaising with governmental/local authorities, IOs and NGOs.
· Familiarity with major institutional donor’s financial management requirements especially EU, AICS, IFAD
· Demonstrated ability to work in stressful environments and under pressure.
· Fluency in English language.
· Computer literate. High proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel
· Possession of MBA or Master in a related field is a strong plus
. registration as Public Certified Accountant in Kenya is a plus
· Experience in logistics, procurement and security matters is a strong advantage.
· Previous work experience in Kenya and/or Somalia is a plus
How to apply
To apply please send a Resume and Cover letter in 1 file (with 2 reference contact, one of them shall be the last employer) to: email@example.com with the subject line: PA Somalia.
The applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis therefore the management reserves the right to close this vacancy before the stated deadline if the right candidate is identified.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted