Location: US, Kenya, Thailand, Australia, and UK. Candidates must have the right to work in the country they apply from.
Salary: £85,000 – £95,000 for UK, salary for other locations available via email.
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Manages: Key functional reporting lines for; Fundraising, Marketing & Communications
World Animal Protection´s vision is a world where animals live free from suffering. 2021 is a transformational year for the organisation as we embark on our new 10-year strategy with a singular purpose and determination to overturn the entrenched global systems that cause so much large- scale suffering and anguish to animals. Over the next 10 years we will move to disrupt and transform these systems, reversing their direction and ending the animal abuse inherent within them.
We will give voice to the voiceless and give hope for the future for the billions of animals which live together with us on this planet. We will elevate animal welfare to become a priority issue of global importance, shifting animals and the destruction of their habitats is inextricably linked to our own wellbeing. We will focus and amplify the growing number of voices of people who are no longer satisfied with piecemeal, short-term solutions and who, like us, want change in the global systems that are the root causes of inequality and suffering. Our focus on two systemic strategic objectives, food systems and wildlife, will enable us, within this strategy period, to deliver significant and sustainable outcomes.
Food Systems: In our focus on food systems, we will create a world where respect for animals and nature sits at the heart of our food systems, we will change the predominant global system of factory farming to one that produces humane and sustainable proteins, and we will mobilise people to show their reduced acceptability of factory farms and encourage and support them to make better consumer choices.
Wildlife: In our focus on wildlife, we will change the extractive system that allows wild animals to be cruelly exploited for human/commercial purposes by driving down the social acceptability, demand, supply, and availability of wild animals, and we will transform the current and develop new, protective systems that create intrinsic value for wild animals in their natural habitats.
This systemic approach, coupled with a clear and unambiguous outcome focus will ensure that we purposefully direct all of our time, attention, and resources to deliver significant impact. To support this transformational change, we are seeking to recruit a Global Director of Fundraising and Engagement.
Purpose of the role
This is a new role for the organisation, to strengthen our Global Leadership Team (GLT) and add capability at a strategic level, providing global insights to ensure we have a seamless integration of fundraising, marketing, and communications with supporter engagement at the heart of our approach. This role is critical to help us achieve our ambitions for animals and we are seeking an exceptional individual to help us.
The post holder will be accountable for global strategy and leadership for Fundraising and Engagement, championing, designing, implementing, and continuously improving strategies to drive a world-class strategic development programme for fundraising and engagement that will secure the income to deliver World Animal Protection’s 2020 – 2030 strategic plan to:
- Double our resources to enable growth goals;
- Increase substantially our reach and visibility;
- Deliver annual overall increases in income of between $20m -$40m per year by 2030;
- Increase funds from across our income streams and every entity in our network – towards raising more from each dollar invested into fundraising;
- Double engagement – reaching more people who stay longer, do more, and give more;
- Double the number of people who believe animal protection matters and are aware of us and trust us to drive change;
- Optimise the proportion of unrestricted funding received from donors and partners.
Accountabilities and key requirements
The Global Director of Fundraising and Engagement is ultimately accountable for global strategy and leadership – including strategy design & development, implementation and governance and will:
- Lead a strategic development programme to identify and cultivate high-level alliances with key partners, donors, and supporters.
- Provide high level global insights to inform best practice and drive a seamless and integrated approach for fundraising, marketing, and communications in the global organisation.
- Ensure the integration of marketing, fundraising and communications by design to ensure strategic growth targets are met/exceeded.
- Develop an extended network of collaboration partners to ensure that insights are generated, and opportunities identified to progress the strategy to create systemic change.
- Comply with the organisation’s policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead an ambitious global marketing, fundraising and engagement strategy by working closely with senior leaders and teams, external partners and the GLT to deliver income in line with strategy and latest multi-year business planning and create synergy, connection, and alignment with our growth ambitions.
- Represent marketing, fundraising and communications as a member of the GLT to all external and internal stakeholders including the Board of Trustees.
- Work closely with the Global Director of Strategic Delivery to ensure alignment of approach.
- Lead on development of creative new funding streams to diversify income and align, support, and enhance our systemic approach to change.
- Act as a custodian of the World Animal Protection brand, growing and developing our brand values and making World Animal Protection a dominant global voice for animals to maximise impact. Actively participate in building our brand and maintain the integrity of our brand to support our profile, lead generation, income, and engagement.
- Oversee the integration between marketing, fundraising and communications and other functions, to ensure efforts are coordinated across all offices and teams to implement the director’s strategic vision.
- Ensure the Group’s resources and processes are in place to deliver the strategy; in particular, compliance with the fundraising regulator and GDPR.
- Identify, cultivate, and manage high level, strategic alliances with key partners, donors, and supporters to facilitate the achievement of strategic aims.
- Lead on creation and development of world-class marketing and fundraising campaigns which are fully integrated across the organisation.
- Oversee the development of the department’s budget in liaison with the Finance team.
- Take overall responsibility for the effective and efficient management of delegated budget in accordance with World Animal Protection’s financial procedures and local governance regulations.
- Manage the allocated income and expenditure budgets.
- Delivery of World Animal Protection’s Global Strategy across the core themes of Mission, Movement & Transformation in a global, matrix environment.
- Work cooperatively with external organisations, teams within World Animal Protection and in the wider animal welfare movement to pursue programme objectives and wider organisational goals, including those relating to brand, communications, fundraising and resource management.
- Actively participate in building our brand and maintain the integrity of our brand to support our profile, lead generation, income, and engagement.
- Help secure resources (income) and reach (people and partnerships) by actively contributing to our supporter relationships, fundraising, communications, and donor reporting.
- Build team capabilities and contribute to a learning culture and create a positive working environment for employees being a role-model our values and behaviours at all times.
- Support the organisation to ensure that we manage our resources (financial, people and IT) efficiently and effectively by improvement of systems, reporting and compliance.
- Take responsibility for their own health, safety, and welfare, comply with H&S policy and procedures, and not act in any way that compromises the safety of themselves, colleagues, or the public.
- Ensure collaboration and integration with programmes team to ensure that all communication and content supports the programmes teams’ output to add maximum input to strategic initiatives.
- The post holder may be required to travel internationally to provide support or participate in World Animal Protection’s activities as and when required.
- The role holder will from time to time be required to undertake any other duties that are within the scope of this role.
Skills and Experience
- At least 5 years’ experience in a senior marketing and fundraising position at Executive level, preferably working across a range of markets and audiences and with high profile partners.
- Working in a complex international campaign environment.
- Proven track record of strategic marketing and fundraising leadership to increase our engagement, visibility and income including high value funding with a track record in giving from individuals and partners in a campaigning and change context.
- Evidence of building a strong brand to support broader organisational and fundraising goals
- The ability to truly listen and build authentic, productive partnerships and relationships.
- Able to demonstrate having led and developed a high performing team.
- Be able to design, secure approval for and recruit any new fundraising and engagement capability to deliver our strategy and successfully integrate capability within the organisation.
- External networking and thought leadership.
- Seeking corporate affiliations with businesses/organisations in relevant sectors.
- Knowledge of the funding landscape globally and the ability to position World Animal Protection to maximise funding opportunities.
- Ability to develop a compelling growth vision and culture for World Animal Protection, with the ability to inspire employees across the organisation to implement our fundraising, marketing, and digital strategies.
- Strong marketing skills, including an understanding of how to grow a global brand with strong digital engagement and implement effective brand marketing, digital communications, content development and campaign strategies to increase awareness and build support and funding.
- Proven financial planning and management skills.
- Ability to work calmly and creatively and to respond to a dynamic and changing environment.
- Excellent and fluent written and verbal English.
- Building and managing high performing global marketing and fundraising teams to meet ambitious targets in a campaigning and change context.
- Engaging and developing employees and volunteers at all levels including working with Boards.
- Working with and alongside executive teams to develop and deliver organisational strategies.
- BA Honours degree or equivalent.**
- A marketing or fundraising qualification, such as Certified Fundraising Executive certificate (CFRE.org) or diploma / advanced diploma (coif.org) or equivalent.
- Fluency in a second language.
How to apply
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV (no photos) in strict confidence by email only to Zoe Oldham at email@example.com.
Please ensure that they are sent as Word documents. Please put “WAP – Global Dir FR and Engagement” in the email subject line. **