Sonko Springs into Action After IEBC Barred Him From Contesting The Mombasa Seat

Former Nairobi County Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko has finally moved to court over the decision by the Independent Electoral Boundaries Commission (IEBC) to bar him from contesting in the Mombasa gubernatorial race ahead of August polls.

Through an application on Monday, June 6, the flamboyant politician said that the decision by the electoral body was un-procedural and unlawful, hence challenging it.

The former County boss further stated in the court papers that his impeachment proceedings in court had not been concluded as they were currently in the highest court of the land.

“The applicants’ impeachment proceedings have not been concluded and are currently pending before the Supreme Court,” read part of the court papers by the ex-county boss.

The former Makadara Constituency lawmaker had been blocked from vying for the Mombasa top seat on the grounds that he had been impeached from office during his tenure as the Nairobi County Governor.

This is after IEBC Chairman Wafula Chebukati announced on Saturday, June 4, that all aspirants who have previously been impeached from public office stand disqualified from contesting in the oncoming general elections.

On the same day, the former Nairobi Governor told off Chebukati that he had not given him fair chance like other aspirants who are also facing corruption-related cases but have been cleared to vie for various positions.

“Today (Saturday) I saw my friend Chebukati has cleared a candidate from his backyard, Mr. Weluke. He said he is clean and can vie but Sonko should not, that is a mistake because, on Monday, we have a case to be decided by three judges. He should have left that to the courts instead of making premature conclusions,” Sonko said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.